This time of year comes with some of the most fun celebrations as well as the worst sicknesses. I woke up this morning and couldn’t breathe, was sore all over, and my throat hurt so much that swallowing became a chore. It’s not the flu (I got the shot, whoo!) but it’s the nasty cold that my boyfriend and I have been passing between us like a disastrous game of hot potato. I’d still like to go out at least for a little bit tonight. It is New Years’s Eve, after all.
What follows are my tips for having a fun time while treating your body right.
- First, take a hot shower. Make your bathroom a sauna. This will wake you up and clear your sinuses.
- Find your biggest hobo bag and throw all of your sick-girl party needs in it. I am walking down town and going to wear Uggs on the walk, then change into nicer shoes when I get there. My bag is from H&M and I love it because my carry-all powers rival those of Mary Poppins. I’m also bringing a cute macaroon box from Urban Outfitters that I can carry Advil in.
- Take some cold medicine! But this means you probably can’t drink that much. Why would you want to, though? No one want’s a hangover and a cold.
Now, you’ll want to dress warmly, because it’s freezing out and you’re already under the weather. This means no sleeveless mini dresses. I’d recommend wearing a sweater, skirt, and tights or leggings. I know it won’t be the sexiest look, but you can still dress it up.
- Accessorize sweaters with glitzy accessories. I’m wearing a sequined scarf with this hand-knit sweater I got from D.C. and a Ralph Lauren Skirt. This outfit is dressy and warm (at least from the knees up).
- Glitterize your nails. I was feeling too under the weather to paint mine elaborately, but three coats of Deborah Lippmann’s 99 Luftballoons later, there is a party on my nail. This dried in about 15 minutes. Negative space manicures are becoming much more popular, now, so even if your glitter polish doesn’t have color in it, fear not. You’ll simply look ahead of the crowd.
- Do a simple ‘do. I’m putting my hair half up with a comb my mother gave me. It looks nice but isn’t going to give me a headache to take it out tonight, nor will it tug too much on my temples.
- Layer and layer again. I am wearing a second sweater and a coat and gloves for the walk.
- Bullet-proof lips. I’m wearing OCC’s lip tar with does a really great job of staying. By focusing on the lips, you can draw attention away from your possibly runny or puffy eyes. Huzzah!
- Don’t put on lower-lash liner. If your eyes don’t run when you’re sick, you can skip this step, but for those of you like me, you fear the night will turn into a black smear-fest. I am keeping my lower lashes clean and putting a glitter coat across my top lid. This is my absolutely favorite look, and this glitter is seriously amazing.
Have fun! Stay warm! Get better soon!